Monday, September 22, 2014

PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

I love pinterest, I love looking at other blogs and making recipes from them

but for this recipe I went to my own cookbook and made Peanut Butter Fudge just like my mother always did.  She followed Marjorie Standish.....A Maine cook "Cooking Down East"



HAVE EVERYTHING READY

grease your 9x13 pan with butter and measure out all the ingredients,  You have to work quickly for this hardens fast. You may want some help to hold that pot and scraping when it is ready to pour into your pan.  


1 pound (2 cups) granulated sugar 
1 pound (2 cups) light brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt

18 ounces of peanut butter plain or chunk-sytle
1 jar (7 1/2 ounce) of marshmallow creme
1 cup of chopped nuts   (I didn't use them) 

-I used a heavy 3 quart saucepan, I added the sugars, milk and mixed this.

-I buttered my 9x13 pan with butter and set aside.  You could also you use 2 8x8 pans buttered 

-I sprayed with "Pam" the measuring cup that held the peanut butter (I used my scale)
-I sprayed with "Pam" the measuring cup that has the marshmallow creme (I used my scale)
-I measured out the vanilla

I put a cutting board on my island so after the cooking of the fudge was done I would put my hot saucepan on to add the remaining ingredients.  

-I used my phone timer/and put the candy thermometer on the side of the saucepan

- So here goes, everything is ready

-bring slowly to a boil, stirring so it will not burn on. 

-Start the timer for 5 minutes as soon as the mixture starts with those little boils.   don't answer the phone, stay with the pot and stir and stir.   I did read my book as I was stirring!  I really did

-when the timer went off I looked at the thermometer and it said "soft ball stage"

-remove the saucepan from the stove, put on the cutting board and add the vanilla.........Be careful its hot and the vanilla will sizzle, and the fluff (marshmallow) and the peanut butter and nuts if using. Keep stirring until its mixed.  Then pour into the prepared pan or pans. Spread the top with a fat knife and allow to cool.    Cut and enjoy            



Reminds me of Christmas, Mother Goose always made Peanut Butter Fudge..............

No comments:

Post a Comment