Tuesday, November 11, 2014

CHICKEN PIE & 100 YEAR OLD PIE CRUST RECIPE

I have tried several chicken pie recipes lately and happy to say I have found my new recipe from a family feast /turkey-pot-pie/  This Chicken Pie was perfect.  Comfort in a bowl & full of flavor and a happy belly..............I also tried a new recipe for pie crust.  Its from "Yankee Magazine" and the recipe is over 100 years old.   Love it and I am going to use this recipe for my Thanksgiving pies this year.  Its flakey and love in every bite.  Enjoy




Chicken Pie is from  afamilyfeast and its the best.  A big thank you to Jack for sharing this great recipe with us.  So, I used chicken and not turkey but I will be making this again after the big Turkey day.   Go check it out and give this pie a try with your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.   I didn't use their recipe for the pie crust.  I used a new one from Yankee Magazine.   You could also use a store bought pie crust.  





this make one 2 crusted pie

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of lard (no substitutes)
dash of salt
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 cup of milk 

In a medium size bowl add the flour, and the lard (only lard) comes in a box sold near the shortening in the grocery market.  Use your pastry blender and mix this together until mixed well.  Then in a small bowl add the milk, salt and vinegar and mix.  Then add the liquid to the flour and mix with the pastry blender.  Then form in a ball and wrap with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for about 2 hours.   I rolled mine between 2 sheets of waxed paper.  



With the left over pie crust I made a rustic apple pie.  I used the recipe from the ina-garten/apple-crostata- Barefoot Contessa for her Apple Crostata.   





Enjoy and thank you for taking a peek at my world!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment